Project 1 Brainstorming!
- Who are you and how does your artistic practice reflect that identity? I am a 19-year-old who identifies as a Chicana artist and a daughter of immigrants.
- How does your presence on social media reflect that identity? My presence on social media is very abstract and different from me in real life because I express myself a lot more on social media than in my everyday life. For example, I post selfies in clothes I don't always wear or in makeup I usually only wear on special occasions. I am on social media who I wish to be all the time, one day I'll gain the confidence to be fully myself outside of the digital world.
- How do your friends reflect that identity? My core group of friends is very different from me and very different from each other. Growing up I never felt connected to them on an artist level, but I did relate to them in many different ways, especially in sharing an ethnicity. High school and college where my identity flourished and I met a lot more friends who shared a passion for art. Some of my friends in college reflect my identity because they are artists and that in itself ties us together.
- How do your values reflect that identity? My values and passions are reflected in my identity because I am a person who speaks their mind on social media and through my artwork, so a lot of people who have encountered my presence know my values.
- Is there a difference between your internal and external self? Yes, I believe there is a difference because my internal self is reserved unless I am 100% comfortable being vulnerable with someone. My external self is much louder in certain environments and settings I believe.
- How do you present an image that communicates your personality? I plan to make a collage of a bunch of items and pictures of myself and people who helped shape me as a way to communicate my personality into an image. I will try and go home to find a lot of personal items that I do not have here in the city and try and ask my friends what they believe makes me, me. I will also be using fabrics and stuff made from different fibers and materials that are scannable and I am able to see digitally.
Danielle Friedman is just breathtaking! It is honestly inspiring me a lot because I love the idea of making myself portrait as a collage with many things I love surrounding me or objects I believe represent me as a person. This piece reminds me of the idea of space and how space and how the objects we choose to take up that space define our personality. I wonder, what objects will I place into my artwork that define me and will others that know me well agree with my decisions? Overall, this piece gives me the inspiration to look deeper into myself and ask others around me how they perceive me.



Comments
Post a Comment