Skip to main content
Project 1: How deep are your roots?

- How do you feel about the overall outcome of this piece in relation to your art-making process? This piece is different from anything I have created because it is digital, not drawn/painted on paper or canvas. I am not used to creating artworks that I have to do through a computer screen, but I really enjoyed the effectiveness of using photoshop to create artworks, plus it's a fun process to see what different tools can do. Overall, I am happy with the outcome of this piece because I stepped out of my comfort zone and created something that makes me feel very vulnerable. People who don't know me, don't know exactly how much this piece represents me.
- In what way did you integrate your personal art practice into this project? I integrated my personal art practice into this project by using family photos, especially portraits. Also, by using the white lines in the figures, I feel like I mimicked embroidery projects I've done in the past. I love taking portraits so much, and when I used to take a lot of pictures, portraits were my favorite because they always felt so vulnerable and spoke the most to me.
- How did you challenge yourself creatively, conceptually and/or technically in the making of this piece? I've only ever edited raw photos on photoshop that I took on my camera but I have never created something using those tools. It was challenging because I was unaware of how to use some of the tools to better the project. Eventually, I learned how to use tools such as the transparency tools that were very helpful in the addition of the text and some family photos that I wanted to be a part of the piece but not take up a lot of the attention.
- Were there elements that made the completion of this piece either more difficult or felt not challenging enough? The placement of all the pictures was hard because I didn't know where to place everyone and how to make it feel cohesive and exciting. In the end, I tried to match the pictures by splitting it up into sections of who is a part of who's family and by using color to make sure not everything ended up looking the same shade/tone.
- Reflect on the project critique: was the feedback you received helpful? Be specific about why or why not. Yes, the feedback was helpful because my peers were telling me the things I did right in photoshop, reassuring me I was using the tools effectively. I really appreciated everyone's critiques and compliments because, to be honest, I didn't feel like this piece was the best I could've done, but I am content with my crit.
- Please share any other thoughts. I loved this project and seeing everyone's project was so cool. I enjoyed seeing everyone talk about their identity or their conflict to find themselves because it opened conversations on vulnerability and other concepts during the crit.
Comments
Post a Comment